A few notes on our experience setting up the QuickBooks integration

We just started using QuickBooks and are using it to accept payment.

I’m concerned by the highlighted text in the screenshot below, “Payments must be managed on TradeGecko only. Paying invoices on QuickBooks Online will not sync down to TradeGecko.”

After running a quick test, I confirmed that TradeGecko creates a duplicate payment record whenever we click “Mark as paid” for orders processed via QuickBooks payment.

The issue described above, the sparse support docs, and the entirely inflexible nature of the integration has led us to setup a separate set of ledgers that TradeGecko pushes to so that we can keep all of the unnecessary records isolated from our actual bookkeeping, which is built entirely around real transactions that show up in our bank accounts (duh).

I have to say I had higher hopes for the integration when we decided to transition our bookkeeping to QuickBooks. The support documentation appears to be a little more than a collection of internal screenshots (see below). This information is valuable, but the presentation speaks to the quality of the integration.

Hello @brian, thank you for your feedback. Regarding the highlighted portion: [quote=“brian, post:1, topic:902”]
“Payments must be managed on TradeGecko only. Paying invoices on QuickBooks Online will not sync down to TradeGecko.”
[/quote] It is accurate. Our integration with QuickBooks does a one-way sync from TradeGecko to QuickBooks. I am unsure how it has been possible as you described - [quote=“brian, post:1, topic:902”]
I confirmed that TradeGecko creates a duplicate payment record whenever we click “Mark as paid” for orders processed via QuickBooks payment.
[/quote]

If you could, do you mind trying to replicate it and sharing with us if that is successful too?

We apologise for the inflexibility of the integration as experienced on your end. Our developers are working to improve the integration as well as the sync between the two. To clarify, are you referring to the mapping of the ledger accounts as inflexible? If yes, what are some things that could make the integration more “flexible”? We will raise it to our developers and Product team for any feature requests.

Lastly, for the docs, we appreciate all the feedback we receive and will look to improve our support docs further. For QuickBooks, on their end they have created customised experiences for different regions to aid the different accounting flows and naming conventions. Hence, our integration support doc is meant to give an overview on the integration without confusing the different audiences.

May I ask what other information would be beneficial for a user like yourself upon set up? As far as possible, we would like to share detailed information on the integration so that there is clarity on what syncs and what does not as this is what comes up most frequently from our conversations with users.

It is our pleasure to improve our support docs so that more users can benefit from them. Hope to hear your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to share them with us!

Thank you for the response @sue-ann . I’ve decided to deactivate the integration as it has very quickly created a lot of unnecessary work for me. We were clearly not the intended use case.

It’s possible because the invoice can still be marked as paid within QuickBooks if this is done before it is marked as paid in TradeGecko.

I had already replicated this. The issue is ongoing for all of our orders processed via QuickBooks payment since my first post. The issue occurs when an invoice is marked as paid in QuickBooks before being marked as paid in TradeGecko.

1. I am referring to every aspect of the integration besides the mapping of ledger accounts. It would be very helpful for each ledger account sync to have an on/off option.

2. For example, we only needed wholesale invoices to be auto-generated in QuickBooks, so we don’t actually have any use for ledger mapping. **

3. Our biggest pain point is that the integration creates a QuickBooks invoice and customer for every Shopify order. We do not need this. It is extremely redundant. We track our Shopify cash flow via bank deposits.

4. If payments truly “must” be managed in TradeGecko, then we would need an option to deactivate this 1-way sync.

** Upon writing this I realized I could solve 99% of our issues by turning off the integration and resorting to a workflow where we manually create summary invoices and attach the itemized PDFs from TradeGecko for the customer’s reference.

A user like myself would probably appreciate high level diagrams or walkthroughs explaining basic use cases. I do not mean a list of features or sync details. An simple example for the title of a support article would be “The lifecycle of a wholesale order using the QuickBooks Online integration.”

Something like this would hopefully reveal to users early on whether the integration is right for them. Only listing features makes users bias to only read what they want to read and disregard everything else until things don’t work how they wanted them to.

For the record, the main reason we can’t use ledger mapping between TradeGecko and QuickBooks is because there is no feasible way for us to have complete and accurate financial information in TradeGecko. Furthermore, we have no need to attach/reconcile every TradeGecko PO with an invoice from our supplier.

All in all we had just hoped the integration might give us an easy solution to wholesale invoicing… Turns out to have a lot more functionality that is unmanageable for our little team.